Monday, June 3, 2013

Celeste's Journal

This is not a typical journal entry.  I was visiting Sophronia Evans and she made the most delicious coconut cake!  So I wrote down the recipe in my journal which I had with me.  (I carry my journal everywhere in case there is something I want to write down.)  Carrying a pen doesn't work...but I carry a pencil instead.

Anyway, here is the recipe.

1 1/4 c sugar                  2 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 c sifted flour           2 egg whites
1/2 cup butter                  2/3 c milk
1 coconut (shredded)

Sift flour then measure, add baking powder and sift three times.  Cream sugar and butter.  Add flavoring (coconut that has been boiled with coconut milk until it comes to a boil), then flour and milk.  Add the stiff beaten egg whites.  Bake in two round layers.

Icing

2/3 c grated sugar
1/ c sweet butter
1/2 c sweet milk
grated coconut to desired taste and texture
Yolk of 1 egg beaten (cook this enough
to mix thoroughly & while warm add butter
size of a button and cool)

Add sweet milk, sugar, 1/4 cup of butter, lightly cooked egg yolk, anc coconut.  Blend together with a fork to keep the texture of the frosting.

It was so yummy.  The big problem will be getting coconut.  Once in a great while a ship will come to Astoria with exotic fruit, bananas, coconuts, papayas, or oranges.  Sophrie was very lucky to be in Astoria when an exotic shipment came in.  Blake knows lots of people who are still Captains of ships.  Maybe he can help me find a shipment coming our way.  I love coconut...so light, and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment