Thursday, June 6, 2013

Celeste's Journal

Sophronia Evans has become a dear friend to me.  In the beginning of our friendship she said to me, "Celeste, I want you to know that I am aware of the terrible thing that happened to you.  Now that you know that I know I also want you to know that I don't judge you.  It was NOT your fault.  It was the fault of an evil, perverted woman who no longer had any human decency.  Now that we have that out in the open is there anything about that you wish to talk about?"

I stood there stunned but finally managed to choke out, "No?" 

Sophrie said, "OK, we won't discuss it ever again unless you bring it up."

She then started chatting about how much she loves to grow herbs to cook with and use as medicine.

She comes to visit me at least once a week.  She has two adorable children, Robert, and Lily.  Her husband is a carpenter, and a very good one as well.  He helped build my shop, my home.  They seem very happy together.

I am trying to learn ways and means to cope with living alone.  I HATE being alone.  The brothel was an evil, hideous place.  Still there were friendships there.  We connected to help each other.  We tried to protect each other from Tallelujah, Madame, and the horrible male customers. 

There was only one woman in the Astoria brothel that was there out of choice.  Even then I don't think a mentally healthy woman would make such a choice.  Her Father beat and molested her from the time she was three until she ran away at fourteen.  She was still a decent human being.

After Tallelujah beat me for running away she brought me little treats that she hid.  She would rub my sore feet with lotion and talk to me about how much she loved to write.  She wrote beautiful poetry about a lovely place where everyone was free and safe.

The "girls" from the brothel all struggled after the death of Madame LeRouge.  None of them had family to turn to.  They would never have been caught in Madame's web of lies if they had. 

Blake was wonderful he helped each and everyone of them to find a better life.  He paid for some of them to take classes to learn how to sew, or cook, or work in business.  Some of them he gave money to leave and find a place where nobody knew them. 

My beloved friend that chose the brothel life thought of staying and starting a new brothel.  Blake and I talked her out of it.  Blake helped her get a job as a maid for the Flavel's.  I was so impressed with the way that Mary Flavel treated her.  Mary acted as though they were equals.  She never spoke to her with anything but respect.  My friend practically worships the ground Mary Flavel walks on. 

The Captain is also delightful.  He tells her stories about his travels as a youth.  He can be very stern, Captain Flavel.  Yet he is astonishingly fair with everyone.  If you are true and honest in your dealings with him he makes an excellent friend.  If you cheat him or lie to him, even a small lie, he will find out.  He makes a frightening enemy.

Yawn, stretch, well dear diary, I'm exhausted.  I need to sleep.  Tomorrow I have five fittings, and a wedding dress to begin sewing.  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment