Monday, June 17, 2013

Celeste's Journal

Oh we came desperately close to losing my beloved Blake.  Interesting to me how the possibility of death reveals the joys in life.  Priorities become crystal clear, and the day to day stuff that we all live, food preparation, work to bring in money to buy food, eating, bill paying, all of it slides away. 

Blake's fever kept climbing and climbing.  Nothing seemed to help.  Doc Stone kept reading medical journals, and he even sent a telegram to a dear friend that practices both modern medicine and Native American Medicine.  We used blankets to sweat out the fever.  That didn't work.  Then we used ice to freeze out the fever.  That worked for a few hours but then up that fever climbed again.

Finally Doc brought some sort of tree bark, and made a tea from it.  That did the trick.  For the first time in over a week Blake awakened from his delirium.  He was so startled to know that a week had passed.  He remembered nothing beyond the fight with the big cat.

His wounds are almost healed, but they will leave scars...on his body, and his soul.  We drove to town to get him out of the house.  I had to drive, he is still very weak.  As we would drive under a tree he would reflexively glance upwards. 

One time there was some unidentified noise above us and I thought Blake was going to jump right out of the buggy.  I kept driving until I found a spot where there weren't trees right over the road.  (That's tricky we live in land of many, MANY, trees). 

Blake pulled me into his arms and said sorrowfully, "Celeste do you think I'll ever get over these fears, this fright?"  As he said this he held me so close I had a tough time breathing.

I responded very calmly, and matter of factly, "Blake you have been through a very difficult ordeal.  OF COURSE, you are having a hard time.  Remember that time does diminish the pain of your experience.  You will heal both inside and out, but it takes time."

After several long minutes Blake released me.  He sighed, an enormous sigh, and then said, "OK, Celeste, let's travel on."

I love him so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment