Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Travel to History

It wasn't one visit, or two, it was a gradual process of many visits to the Oregon Coast, and to Astoria, Oregon that led to my personal discovery of the series that I am writing, "Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch."  Actually it began long before my first, second, and third visits to Astoria.  It began when I was a small child watching, listening, and recording in memory for me to review and draw upon when I grew up. (I'm not certain that I HAVE grown up, but I'm trying.)  Western American television series and listening to my grandparents reminiscings sparked the fire that led me to writing.

The Drifting Anchor Ranch, is a fictional place.  It has never actually existed except in my fertile imagination.  An anchor is such a lovely symbol of so many things.  An anchor can hold us steady in the storms and squalls of life.  (If you have not yet faced any storms or squalls, just hang on, they WILL happen).  This is not a threat, storms and squalls help us to become strong.

On the other hand, an anchor can also hold us so still in place that we can't grow, move, achieve.  An anchor is meant to hold us steady, but there is a reason why it was pulled up when the ship was ready to travel.  You can't move freely with an anchor holding you hard and fast in place.

One of life's little mysteries, how things can be both good AND bad.  An anchor symbolizes this enigma. 

When I began to put the story on paper with ink (I am NOT as old as the dinosaurs!), it took shape quickly.  When I searched for a name to give the ranch I turned to my beloved husband, also a writer.  He had such a brilliant mind.  He truly was a creative genius (Really, really!)

He asked, "Who started this ranch?  Why did he want to start the ranch?  What type of work did he do before he began the ranch?"

When I explained Sea Captain, wanted to start a different type of life,  drifted anchor that put the ship ashore he responded as though it was the simplest answer in the world, "The Drifting Anchor Ranch."  I was delighted!  My husband passed away two years ago.  The name of this series keeps him close to me.

I am fascinated by the 1800's in the Western United States of America.  It took great courage and vision to travel to the unknown and then create a good life for their children and the people who came afterwards.  These pioneers and their lives teach me about life, and facing it with courage.  I hope that others will enjoy traveling to the past in my novels.


No comments:

Post a Comment