Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Clam Chowder

In Warrenton, which is a town near Astoria that was started almost 50 years after Astoria, Oregon (which is a town that I use in my series) there is a small restaurant across from the Shiloh Inn.  I wish I remembered the name.  You can probably Google it.  Anyway, if you like clam chowder, you WILL want to eat theirs.  I don't really like clam chowder all that much...usually it is too rich with clams that taste like the rubber eraser on the end of a pencil.  (Yes I DID chew on the eraser throughout my grade school years.  So I know when that eraser and the clams share an equal taste sensation.)

The charming waitress insisted that I MUST get the clam chowder instead of the salad.  I am ever so grateful that I listened to her.  I'm absolutely certain that they create THE BEST clam chowder, bar none, that I have ever eaten.  DELICIOUS doesn't begin to explain what it tasted like.  There was a richness there, a luxuriant sense of creaminess.  The flavor of clam was delicate, not overpowering.  The clams had actual taste, and were relatively tender to chew.

Our lovely waitress had worked there for many years.  She said that they used to give anyone who requested the recipe for the chowder.  Then a new restaurant moved into town, and started using their recipe.  They no longer give out the recipe.  (Why do the dishonest always spoil things for those of us who strive for honesty?)

This is truly a shame because I would love to reproduce this hearty, delicious meal.  She explained that it did have heavy cream, and half and half (She had me at heavy cream).  They use clam juice...which she explained is like chicken or beef broth only it's made with clams.  The sad part is that she had no idea what seasoned the chowder.

I wish that I could reproduce the recipe for my blog.  The best that I can do is to tell you, if you ever travel to Warrenton, Oregon, google the restaurant that is across from the Shiloh Inn.  I also had the salmon fish and chips (amazing as well).  The ambiance is simple, homey.  It feels like you've dropped into a dear friend's home for dinner.  The waitresses are charming, helpful, and the food is INCREDIBLE!

(I Googled and found that the name is Dooger's.  The name is a little strange, and it actually IS DOOGER'S not DODGER'S.)


No comments:

Post a Comment