Saturday, October 26, 2013

Christmas is Almost Here!

I spent last night at the ranch.  Jamie had been running a fever and pulling at his right ear.  Poor little tyke.  He hurt so much and didn't understand what was happening.  I wish that babies were born with some sort of mechanism that explained to their worried parents, ear infection, sore throat, stomach ache, some way of knowing exactly what to treat.  I'm always amazed at how well Doc can read the signs of sickness and know in a quick minute exactly how to treat the baby, small child, or old lady.  Calkington is fortunate to have him here.

I hate it when Jamie or Eric are sick.  Yet to be honest I can admit that I love the cuddling, the cooking and feeding them healthy comfort food.  On the other hand when they cry, I cry right along with them, feeling their pain, and trying to distract them from it.

I went out to visit the ranch and found Blake and Red looking heavy eyed, and Blake had about three days of whiskers on his face. (Red never shaves so his beard didn't look very different).  They had called Dr. Stone and he gave them garlic oil to warm slightly and put in Jamie's ear to help ease the pain and to fight the infection.  Usually a small child does not appreciate things of any sort being put in their ears.  Actually, I guess adults don't enjoy it either.  In Jamie's case it was a testament of how badly his ear hurt that after Dr. Stone put the medicine in his ear he calmed, and actually went to sleep.  It was the first time that he had slept in two days!

Doc also gave us some Laudanum to give Jamie if the pain got too bad again.  He said to definitely give him some at bedtime so the entire household can get some rest.

Finding everything so upside down, and Blake and Red exhausted, I shooed them to bed, and took over the care of Jamie and Eric.  Red and Blake both slept for hours, exhausted.

Eric is such a serious little boy.  He said, "Maman, what can I do to help Jamie feel better?"  I smiled and gave Eric a kiss on the cheek. 

I said softly, "Eric, why don't you find your favorite books and when Jamie awakens you can read to him."  (He is the most adorable little boy, so grown up in so many ways that it's startling to find in such a young boy).

Eric ran to do my bidding.  When Jamie awakened Eric read to him.  I was able to leave Eric with Jamie so that I could go downstairs and warm up some chicken broth.  I was grateful that Red had made chicken broth the day before I came.  He also had put in soft vegetables, potatoes and carrots.

I could tell that Jamie was feeling a bit better.  He ate that soup and asked for more.  So, I went and got him some more.  I also got some bread, butter, and cheese for Eric and I.  I brought some extra cheese and bread for Jamie, just in case he saw ours and wanted some...HE DID!  Blake and Red had told me that they couldn't get Jamie to eat anything.  I was very relieved when he ate hungrily.

Just before Red and Blake awakened Jamie's ear started hurting so badly that he was crying.  Again I warmed the oil by holding it in my hands (I have very warm hands), and then putting two drops in his ear.  I also gave him just the tiniest dose of Laudanum.  The combination seemed to work well.

When Blake came in Jamie's room after he slept he stretched and said, "Celeste Benoit you are an angel.  Thank you for letting us get some sleep.  I know that you're very busy right now during the Christmas season.  You can go home now if you want."

I smiled at Blake and said, "Dynamite could not blast me from the side of our boy.  If I went home I would simply worry and pace.  It's much better for me to be here."  I leaned over and brushed Jamie's oh so straight hair off his forehead and said,  "I think his fever is breaking Blake.  He's all dewy with sweat."

Blake checked Jamie's forehead and said, "I think you're right.  Hallelujah.  I can't bear when my boys..."  Blake stopped, looked at me and changed his words, "OUR boys are sick.  I just want everything in life to be wonderful for them."  Then Blake wrapped me up in his big, strong, arms, and kissed me.  Oh it was the tenderest kiss, soft, warm, and I just about melted into the floor boards.

So...journal I stayed over night and then came home this afternoon.  Jamie was feeling so well that he got dressed and played marbles with Eric.  I hated to leave them, my family.  Still, I have a business to run.  Being at the ranch did put me behind on my sewing but I'll catch up.  It was sad to have Jamie sick, but heaven to be there at the ranch with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment