Friday, October 18, 2013

Celeste's Journal

Before I could wash my face this morning I had to break the layer of ice that had frozen over the top.  It was so cold last night that we had an ice storm.  That means that there are layers of ice over everything, trees, bushes, any types of plant life.  It's impossible to ride a horse today because it would be so dangerous.  Horses can't keep traction on ice any more than a human can.

Around noon I heard an incredibly loud C R A C K!  I dropped my sewing and ran out to the front of my shop.  There was one of the oldest trees in Calkington lying in the middle of the road.  I'm very grateful that if it had to fall it fell somewhere that did no human, animal, or property damage. 

I went outside several times today to see men gather to chop, saw, and clear the enormous old tree in the middle of the street.  I did see Eric Erickson slip and fall on his fairly substantial backside.  I tried not to laugh as he slid to the side and then limped home.  It shouldn't be funny.  It obviously hurt him, and embarrassed him as well.  I don't understand why watching someone fall even would be funny...but it kind of was.  Only if he's not really hurt!

I even saw Willard Bond change his clothes and come out and work with the townsmen to clear the road.  He looked so different in overalls, an old work-coat, a stocking hat, and a scarf around his neck.  I am used to seeing professional Willard.  He is a sharp dresser.  He usually has on a suit coat, vest, pocket watch with a chain, suit pants that match his vest and coat, and a shirt so white that it almost glows with a celluloid collar.  His hair is never mussed, and his shoes are always polished so well that you can glance down and look at yourself in their reflection.

As much as I dislike Lucille, for so very many reasons, she takes very good care of Willard.  I'm pretty much certain that she polishes his shoes, washes and presses his clothes, and makes certain that if he needs things mended, or darned that happens promptly.  She is a very good housewife.  I just wish she were a better human being.

OK...I know I'm feeling glum.  I never speak negatively about anyone, at least I try NOT TO, (even Lucille Bond) normally.  When I am negative I know that I'm feeling blue.

So...in the later afternoon when I couldn't imagine anyone braving the ice storm to come to shop I closed my shop.  Then I went to the General Store.  I purchased a sturdy sled.  I dragged that sled up to a steep hillside (there were already lots of children there).  I climbed and slid, climbed and slid, climbed and slid, and climbed and slid.  Some of the children looked oddly at me at first but after the 2nd and 3rd times down the hill they all just ignored me.

I was cheated of too much of my childhood by Madame LeRouge.  Fortunately for me, I believe that it's never too late to have a happy childhood!  So for a couple of hours today I had a very, very happy childhood. 

It cheered me up so much that when I was walking back to my home carrying my sled and saw Lucille Bond look at me, sniff, and put her nose up in the air.  I just chuckled and thought to myself, "Poor Lucille.  You keep your nose up in the air so much that you whole head may get stuck in that awkward position!"

Laughing, I walked home.  Home to a warm bath, then a delicious meal, and a clean nightgown...and a warm and toasty bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment