Monday, August 18, 2014

Ripple or Chevron...you choose

When I was young I made a bunch of afghans.  One pattern that I enjoyed crocheting was called the "Ripple" afghan.  During the late 80's, 90's and into the first of the 21st century this pattern fell into disgrace.  People saw it as something only Grandma's would appreciate.

I was challenged one day when my daughter asked me, "Mama will you make me a Chevron afghan?"  I asked her to repeat the question.  Then I said, "What's a Chevron?"  She went to Google and showed me Chevrons.  I guess the British renamed the pattern and it became renewed, something trendy and desirable.

Not only are Chevron's big, they're REALLY BIG!  Chevron's on beach balls, clothing, towels, shower curtains, etc. etc. etc.  Sometimes the pattern all over women at  church makes me slightly dizzy.  I really like this pattern, but in small amounts.

It also reminds me of a trim that was used on clothing in the 60s and 70s.  It was called "Ric Rac."  This was sewn on clothing, towels, etc. etc.  It came in varying widths of Chevrons.

I know that in the 1800's crocheting and knitting was not something done as a hobby.  The products that were created were used as bedding, clothing, etc.  Knitting and crocheting were a satisfying method of clothing and warming your family.

I am not certain that either the Ripple or Chevron afghans were made then, but they may have been.  In the mean time they are just downright fun to create.  I will include links here on how to crochet or knit the things.

http://mosierfarms.blogspot.com  is a grand Chevron afghan pattern that is knitted.  I have made seven and they are absolutely lovely.

http://allfreecrochet.com gives some lovely variations of ripple afghans to make.

Christmas is coming, far too rapidly.  These make lovely gifts, especially in the cold winter months!  I know that any of the characters in my series, "Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch," would love to curl up in one of these beauties and read a good book in front of a warm fire, or just put it over them at night to go to sleep.  Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment