Saturday, August 16, 2014

Celeste - Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch

I had a grand book opening re-scheduled twice for my newest book in the series, "Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch".  The first postponement was because my beloved Mama passed at 95 years of age.  The other happened because my venue closed down.  So the birth of my 2nd book in the series, "Celeste, Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch," fell flatter than bread without yeast, lower than a snake's belly, lower than the lowly earth worm.  Accompanying sound effect would sound like this....slow hiss of escaping air from a tire.

That does NOT mean that the book isn't interesting.  It does not mean that I no longer have any of the books for sale.  I actually still have many of them here in my humble abode.  If any one lives in the Davis County area of Utah and would like a copy of "Celeste, Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch," that can be arranged through comments on this blog, Facebook or email.

It's time for a delicious recipe.  I've searched for the one that sounds most delicious to me...here it is!

FUDGE

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 squares of chocolate
3/4 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of butter

Mix together, stir briskly until sugar is dissolved and chocolate is melted.  Let boil until soft ball stage, turn into platter, and let it cool.  Nuts may be chopped up and added before it hardens as well.

Fudge is my favorite food.  I love all the myriad kinds of modern fudge.  I rarely eat it because I don't want ONE PIECE.  Doesn't satisfy me.  I want a pound or so...all to myself! 

Sugar was not as common in the 1800's as it is today.  It was really expensive.  Honey and molasses were still very commonly used sweeteners.  An estimate has been made that we, in the 21st century, eat about 500% more sugar than we did in the 1800s.  Our bodies have not evolved fast enough to deal with our sugar overload. 

So, make fudge, and only eat it once a week, right?  Am I right?  Well maybe you should not eat an entire pound of fudge once a  week.  Half a pound would probably be better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment