Thursday, September 19, 2013

Celeste's Journal

Christmas is coming.  The realization today stopped me in my tracks.  I immediately sat down and began to plan the presents I would give this year.  I decided that the men at the ranch would get warm, woolen scarves.  It doesn't snow much here, but it's so humid that the cold seems to penetrate right through your clothes.  A warm woolen scarf would keep their necks warm.

I also am going to make monogrammed handkerchiefs.  I will make a few out of some soft muslin that I have.  I will bleach the muslin to make it white.  I have white embroidery floss.  So I will draw out the letters, and practice them on paper.  Then I will oh so lightly outline them with a pencil on the muslin.  I am also going to monogram some handkerchiefs out of more practical bandana type of material.  I will make the embroidery on those bright, bold, and masculine.

For Sophrie's family I will make a tablecloth out of gingham, and embroider a border around the edges.  I will make presents for Sophrie's family because Sophrie is my only friend in this town.  She knows about my past but loves me in spite of it.  I am grateful everyday for my Sophrie friend.

I will make a scarf and handkerchiefs for Doc Stone as well.  He has been so very good to me.  He has always treated me with dignity and respect.  Better yet, he has consciously worked on making me feel comfortable to have a male friend.  He looks nothing like my Papa, but he is kind, and funny the way my Papa was.  His similarities to my Papa have helped me to not dwell on the missing of my beloved Papa. 

I need to make some fun toys for the boys.  I think that I will make Jamie some finger puppets.  I will also make him a stuffed toy, maybe a lion or an elephant?  I'll have to think about that.  Eric, I'll make him a checkerboard, and checkboard pieces.  Jamie is too young to play with Eric, but I'm certain that Red and Blake will be happy to play with Eric.  I will also enjoy playing with him.

It's the first part of October, I have extra work to do for my shop.  Many orders have come in for Christmas presents, shirts, dresses, etc.  I don't have any wool flannel left.  I'll go to the General Store tomorrow and buy some to make the scarves with.

All of a sudden I'm excited.  I love Christmas.  I miss celebrating it with my beloved family.  I miss the traditions of my homeland.  Yet I'm sharing those traditions with the boys.  It's always good to remember that there are many good people in the world who celebrate Christ's birthday.

We have one Jewish family that recently moved to Calkington.  There have unfortunately been many actions of hate and prejudice towards them.  I took them dinner last week.  I know that they are struggling financially.  They have 8 children, and Mr. Feinstein has been too ill to earn a living for the family.  Hmmm, that gives me an idea.  I have heard that Mrs. Feinstein is an excellent seamstress.  I wonder if she would like some money this Christmas?  I could use her help, she would get some money for Christmas.  I'll go this afternoon and visit her.

I'd better quit writing, and start into my day.  A joyous day as I think of all the lovely things that I'm going to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment