Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Celeste's Journal

My heart is racing so hard right now.  I took Eric and Jamie on a picnic.  I made croissants, and got some delicious ham and cheese from Red.  We took our picnic to the lovely little meadow that's just a short way from the ranch house.

We ate slowly, giggling, and gabbing, about everything and nothing.  The boys are so adorable.  I am grateful everyday to have these beautiful boys as part of my life.

After we finished eating we decided to walk a little ways to the creek.  The day was brilliantly sunny.  The temperature was absolutely perfect...not too cold, not too hot.  We skipped rocks on the creek.  Jamie caught a tiny frog and showed me how they hop.  I did NOT tell him that in France we love to eat the legs of a bigger type of frog.

As I was giggling about that idea I heard Eric cry out.  I had thought he was still beside me.  Somehow as my attention was diverted he had darted away.  I turned and my blood positively stopped inside.  My heart also stopped.

A rattlesnake was shaking his tail back and forth.  I screamed, "Eric, stop.  You must NOT move!"

I didn't have a clue what to do.  Rattlers can strike from quite a distance.  I was afraid that if I tried to get a stick and toss it back into the brush it would still leap, at either child, or me! 

Jamie, oblivious to the danger started to run to Eric.  I screamed, "Stop Jamie.  Stop Eric....DO NOT MOVE!"  I am SO grateful that they are obedient boys.

Grabbing the biggest stick that I could find I reached the middle of that snake and screamed, "RUN AWAY ERIC AND JAMIE.  RUN FAR AND FAST AWAY!"  Then I tossed that rattling danger as far away as I could.

The boys were still running and I caught up to them.  In the amazing manner of children the fear was soon past for them.  I was spent, the adrenaline rush having moved past, and leaving me shaking, clammy, and cold with fear.

We gathered up our picnic supplies and I took the boys home.  For the rest of the day I will be grateful for the relative safety of being INSIDE a home!

No comments:

Post a Comment