Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving Day

What was Thanksgiving like in the 1800's?  How was it much the same as the way that we celebrate today?  How was it different?  What foods do we still eat that they ate?  What foods do we eat that are different?

In my first published novel, "Beth, Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch," lulu.com there is a chapter about Beth, Jamie, and their first Thanksgiving together.  Jamie's desire to have their very own first Thanksgiving as a family unit is admirable considering the fact that Beth has tricked Jamie into marriage with the desire to make he and his family miserable.

Jamie writes a song and gives it to Beth as an early Christmas present.  Have you ever given a song as a Christmas present?

One of the choicest Christmases in my life was one that my sister taught me to sing a duet with her of a Christmas hymn, "Oh Hush Thee My Baby."  I'll never forget the joy on our parents faces as we presented them with this "gift."

Material things are fun for a while, then the excitement fades, or the thing breaks, or gets lost.  Experiences that create memory are the most precious in the world.  Especially joyous Christmas memories.

So....please comment...what does your family usually eat at Thanksgiving?  Does your entire family get together?  Do you go out to eat?  There is no "right" or "wrong" way to celebrate this holiday....well actually the one "wrong" way is to NOT celebrate this holiday.  Being thankful is amazing.  As the old song says, "When I get tired and I can't sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep, and I fall asleep counting my blessings!" 

So, think of that "half full" glass and find some things to be grateful for....even if it's as small as being grateful for my pretty kitty who purrs me to sleep at nights, or my darling doggy who makes it necessary for me to walk every couple of hours.  Or there is ALWAYS the blessing of CHOCOLATE! 

Or think of the BIG things, good parents, loving spouse, or children, warm place to sleep, clothes to wear, food to eat, and hopefully you will find that that "half-full" glass is actually more full than you realized!


No comments:

Post a Comment