Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How and Why Vivian Varlowe?

My beloved Mama wanted to be a writer.  As a child she felt driven to record feelings, experiences, and to create stories, and verse.  Tucked into bed she would wait until her parents had gone to bed.  Then flashlight in hand she would quietly climb into her closet.  There she would write, sometimes into the wee small hours of the morning.

Dreaming of fame and fortune Mama wrote, wrote, and then wrote some more.  One day it occurred to her that she needed a name to attach to her writing.  In her estimation her own name was a little too common, too everydayish to warrant such a grand thing as the name by a writer would be known.

Vivian Varlowe....how she received that exact inspirational name is lost to history.  As an adult I told Mama about my compulsion to write.  She laughed and shared with me her childhood dream, complete with her pseudonym.

The sad tale is that at some point Mama became convinced that she had no talent to write.  Feeling the pressing cares of everyday life Mom quit writing stories and books.  Fortunately she kept writing letters, journals and occasional poetic verse.  She didn't become a "published" author, but her writing is incredibly precious to her over 75 descendants.

As I grew closer to finishing the first novel in my series "Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch," I went to a book store one day.  I looked at the neat alphabetical novels on the shelf.  There was Carol Smith...part of my name.  Next I looked and found CJ Stone...another extremely close version of my name.  Perplexity wrinkled my brow as I considered my approach to this conundrum.  I remembered Mama's dreamed of author name and looked on the shelves.  I didn't see anything close to Vivian Varlowe...a pseudonym was born!

So...readers please look for and find my first book, "Beth, Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch," by Vivian Varlowe, at Lulu.com for book or Nook, and at Amazon for Kindle.  It is also carried at Aunt Addy's Country Home in Farmington, Utah.  If you live in Utah that is the best deal.  You can purchase it there for $3.00 cheaper, and no shipping charges as well.  My first book signing will be held on May 31, from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Aunt Addy's Country Home in Farmington, Utah.  I will soon post the address.  Thanks Mama for dreaming big, and passing those big dreams on to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment