Thursday, September 7, 2017

Ardis Journal

Our picnic (I LOVE picnics) today was at a place called Fern Falls.  Dr. John came with us.  We had a lovely picnic...even better because I had nothing to do with cooking it!

After eating we decided to hike up a trail that goes around the side of the falls.  We must have hiked about an hour.  We were about to turn back because the path was so narrow and there was a sharp drop to the side.  I'm terrified of heights.  It has nothing to do with reason.  It doesn't matter how much I tell myself that there is no real danger.  I was clinging to the face of the mountain that was on the other side of the path.

Suddenly, the mountain face gave way, and I fell.  I was too terrified to make a sound.  John and Blake saved me from any harm.  I got a little scratched up but nothing significant.  Apparently I had stumbled upon an insignia carved on the side of the trail, and that insignia opened a door into this space.

Well imagine our surprise to find that we were in some sort of sacred place.  It was circular as though marks of a chisel showed that it had all been hollowed by human hands.  There was remnants of a roof above the circular space.  On the walls were amazing paintings that had been carved, and colored in a way that I've never seen before.  Looking more closely at them I realized that some of them seemed to be from the Bible.  Adam and Eve were there together, then Cain killing his brother Able.

The next portions told different stories from the Bible.  Reaching the second half of the room I noticed that these panels were still sacred but their story was not told in the Bible.  I saw a people that built a boat and sailed.  Next I saw that they built homes in the wilderness.  Then something or someone in human form was coming down from the sky towards them.  A man was all in white, and he was blessing children.  Last panel showed people in a boat again traveling on water.

All of a sudden, the silence began to feel oppressive.  I felt the small hairs at the back of my neck rise.  I knew exactly what I was feeling.  It was like the times that I have witnessed somebody die.  There have been way too many of those times in my life.

Apparently Blake felt the same way.  John wanted to study all of the pictures more.  Blake and I left with John promising to come soon.  That was when the water party began.  It was so innocent and fun.  Honestly, I didn't feel guilty, well probably a little.  I kept telling myself that Blake and I were like brother and sister, we weren't doing anything wrong.

The trip home was not as much fun as the trip to the falls.  We couldn't get John to say a word.  He seemed overwhelmed by something he saw in that place.  Finally, I fell asleep.  When I woke up I was safe in my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment