Friday, August 30, 2013

Celeste's Journal

Blake and I joined Sophrie and Tom for a picnic.  Red, the noble soul volunteered to watch Eric, Jamie, and the Evans' two children, Robert and Lily.  Robby and Jamie are about the same age.  They play well together and are always sad when they are separated again.  Eric often ignores all of the other children and sits quietly watching the world move along.

Lily sits with Eric often.  Together they speak quietly.  Sometimes they assign ideas to clouds.  For example, "Look, that cloud looks like a rabbit.  See the pointed high ears?" 

Sophrie made Ginger Bread.  It was so delicious...oh my goodness, layers of flavor.  It tasted one way when you first bit it, another way as you chewed, and then as you finished chewing there was a new flavor.  I have written it down in my journal so that I won't lose the recipe.  I WILL be making this delicious bread soon.

GINGER BREAD

1/2 cup fat or butter
1 cup molasses
1 egg (add 2 eggs if you wish, makes it fluffier)
2 1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1` 3/4 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger (you can add a little more to taste)
1 cup sour milk (If you don't have sour milk you can make it sour by adding lemon juice, or leaving the milk out over night)

DIRECTIONS

Melt the butter, add the molasses and cool, add the egg(s) well beaten, then the sour milk.  Mix soda, salt, ginger, sugar and sifted flour to the mixture stir well and turn into a greased pan and bake 23 minutes in moderate oven.  Serve with whipping cream.

I really enjoy cooking.  I can't wait to mix up this recipe.  Often I make new recipes.  Then I take the goodies to Blake and Red.  I also take food to Dr. Stone whenever possible.  He is always busy, and rarely eats well.

My crepes with fruit and whipped cream are a big favorite.  Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment