Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Human Trafficking In America, in the World

Celeste, Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch, is my second novel.  As I wrote it I broke the cardinal rule of writing, "Write what you know."  I mean I didn't know much of anything about human trafficking.  I knew next to nothing about growing up in France, and as a person who has never tasted wine (I DO love homemade grape juice that is NOT fermented) I found myself writing about a French girl who immigrates to America.  Her Father is the fourth generation of vintners in his family.  They are coming to America to establish his brand.  Her entire family dies and she is left not knowing the language, arriving in an unknown place, (Astoria, Oregon), and winding up in sexual slavery.

I put the disturbing beginning away for a week.  I didn't want to write about such a horrendous subject!  Then I saw a documentary that grabbed my heart.  "Sexual slavery is at an all time high in the world."  Later I discovered that it is also prevalent here in America.  Many sexual slavers target disabled American's that are cognitively, or physically challenged, but have the body of an adult, this makes them easy prey.

So today I have spent two hours looking for information about non-profit organizations that someone trapped in this insidious practice could look too for help.  I haven't eaten a bite, I sit at my computer horribly enthralled by the widespread evil.  Yet I am also touched, and enlivened by the sheer number of organizations doing their level best to end this pernicious practice.

If you have small children, or children with cognitive impairment, or physical impairment, do NOT leave them alone.  EVER!  Either arrange for them to be with a large group of children, or have them where you can see them every minute.  There are literally slavers that troll the streets of America, yes even the small towns, looking for a child that can be grabbed quickly, both girls, AND boys!

Teach your children STRANGER DANGER!  Help them learn how to help themselves if they are ever in a dangerous situation.  Teach them self-defense.  If a child proves difficult a slaver may leave them alone.

Do not allow your children access to a computer in a private place.  Monitor their computer activity.  Children are small humans that have not yet fully developed brains.  Those brains don't fully develop until their early 20's.  So make certain that they don't get themselves into situations that they can't get out of.  One story I read was about a 13 year old girl who met someone in a "Chat Room."  She finally made an appointment to meet and have dinner.  She spent over three years in sexual slavery being treated worse than a dog before she was able to escape.

I AM GOING TO TYPE ALL OF THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH IN CAPS BECAUSE IT'S SO IMPORTANT!  DO NOT....I REPEAT....DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN TO ME OR MY FAMILY!  IT COULD....IT HAPPENS TO FAMILIES ALL OVER OUR COUNTRY!

Please do not spend your days in fear of things that could happen.  Yet it helps to alleviate fear when you are prepared for the possibility of negative situations.  So DO educate yourself, your spouse, or partner, and especially your precious children!

No comments:

Post a Comment