Monday, June 4, 2012

Extra, extra, read all about it!

When you purchase a DVD many times there are short clips on it that are listed as EXTRAS.  Those extras are often part of an original script that for one reason or another did NOT make the final cut for the film.  So sometimes it's fun to see what was left out.  Sometimes you understand WHY it was left out.

In writing Angela, Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch, it was achieved during twenty years of waiting.  I wrote a line here, a line there, waiting for the children to come out of school, waiting for a soccer game to be done, waiting for appointments, waiting for the girls to go to church activities.  Once in awhile I would finish an entire page, and even more rarely one entire chapter would come into existence.

When I decided to publish Beth, Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch first I was pleased with it's size around 90,000 words.  Imagine my surprise to find out that Angela, Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch is almost twice that size?

So this last week I've been doing what all writers hate...CUTTING my book into a more manageable size.  I've actually cut out 10,000 words...and guess what I've decided to do with many of those segments.  In case you haven't guessed, they will become my EXTRA section.  I will choose the segments that best enlarge on the story and publish those here on my blog.

If you have read Beth and are anxiously awaiting the publishing of my second book, watch for the EXTRAS that will be coming out this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment